Wednesday, March 7, 2012

In the year 2000...and 62.



            More than fifty years ago, the use of the telephone was a novel idea that needed explaining (http://www.boingboing.net/2011/06/06/1950s-att-film-how-t.html).  Today, you would be hard pressed to find someone who needs help operating a telephone.  So what technology do we currently use that will seem odd and outdated to us today?  If I had to guess (and I do), then I would say it will be the voice recognition programs like Siri on the iPhone.  If you look at some of the current trends, voice recognition software is being placed in all types of products.  From telephones, televisions, cars, appliances, and even children’s toys, voice recognition software seems to be everywhere.  It is amazing to think that this is a relatively new development that will soon be commonplace, but that appears to be its current path.  I already have a 3-year-old cousin who is just as good, if not better, with an iPhone than I am.  My uncle told me how his son ordered himself hundreds of dollars in toys from the phone since Amazon had remembered his credit card information.  A few clicks away and Parker (my cousin) had himself and early Christmas.  That kid is growing up with the newest technology and will think of it as part of his life rather than a luxury way before he is old enough to recognize the difference.  So for me, this will be one of the technological advances that people in fifty years will look back on like it is odd and outdated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment